I have here another kit that I have been working on for quite some time. With every new addition added to the log, this one get push further and further behind along with 2 other kits on the bench.. It was a struggling effort to finish this as I cannot resist the call of the new additions but I pulled through and finished it finally.
If I recall correctly, Tamiya’s first T-55 kit was released in 2002 and it became an instant classic due to its high level of detail, accuracy and ease of assembly. It is still easily the best T-55 kit available in 2012.
Obviously, Tamiya has taken advantage of this excellent base kit to deliver an Iraqi T-55 Enigma.
Although the running gear, lower hull and some of the detail parts are from the original boxing, much of this kit is new or modified.
Now moulded in dark yellow, this kit comprises approximately 382 plastic parts, four large polythene caps, ten small polythene caps, I small sheet of vinyl mesh and two full-length flexible vinyl tracks. Two of the sprues and the upper hull are brand new, while the turret has also been modified to accommodate the armour segments and other fittings.
All the parts, whether from 2002 or 2012, are moulded to the same outstanding level of quality.
Bored with building and painting schemes identical to the real vehicles, I decided to go for a custom model on this one; a experimental T-55 Enigma Per Se. The scenario is that before the Iraq war, the Russians saw how the Iraqi modified their T-55 and bought some back to Russia and experimented with it by adding in some parts here and there including a SGD, added-on side skirts armours to cover the back part of the vehicle and fording equipments.
The scenario is for this gal to be just dirty on the wheels and lower parts from driving around on the range from the experimentation and demonstrations. I didn't even put on black smoke pigments on the gun as well to further emphasis the point it was just driving around. I purposely didn't put on any kind of oil spillage nor chipping.
Refusing to go for the Iraqi Sand colour that everybody is going for, I opted for a Russian colour scheme. Debating within my mind, I chose the Russian three tone over the over-all green.
For the green, I mixed Vallejo Russian Green with another 1 of Vallejo Air (Field Green) and some green I cannot remember which from Tamiya. I used Nato Black for the black as I have found alot people used that for the T-90s. The Tan is Deck Tan from Tamiya. I gave it a panel line wash from AK. Because of the Tan in the paint scheme and the scenario I want to put it into, I only gave it a light coat of brown filter.
Well, that's about as much I can sum up about the build.
I know it is not perfect but this is probably one of a very few kit that I am very happy with and is totally satisfied. I really loving how this came out.
It's time for the photos -(If you think some are small, just click on them )
And the lights -
And the machine gun -
The smoke stains -
And here are the parts I added on to customised it -
These are the two extension side skirts I scratch-built
I put on this box on this side of the turret to make it look more busy
I put on smoke grenade discharger over there along with the fording equipment
I put this long tube part thingy to make the back of the turret more busyAnd as usual, my show case photos from various angles -
And as usual from me, the Gary Wintin Shot -
Well, that's all I can say about this. As you all know, my patience is my bane so the usual hiccups are met but nothing I can complain. I actually am satisfied with everything I did on this and I am really happy this little thing is sitting on my shelves. About time I am satisfied with something as I always look and find faults on most of my work and have this nagging thought in my mind '' damn, I could have done it better'' and that is just frustrating.
I couldn't keep building if not for my supporting friends and comrades. Thank you guys for always supporting me. Thank you dear readers for your patronage as well.
Until Next time.