Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Cyber Hobby 1/35 JS-2 Heavy tank

Good day to you Gentlemen.

I have been working on this one for a long time. With every new addition added to the log, this one get push further and further behind. It was a struggling effort to finish this as I cannot resist the call of the new additions but I pulled through and finished it finally.

I was going to finish this sooner but I was sick for like 2 and a half week even till now and just can't bring enough strength to finish this. Glad to have pull through and finished this and 2 more kits.

This is more or less Cyberhobby rebox of the the older Dragon JS-2 kit. The kit has the different barrels for the JS-1 or the JS-2, but the rest of it is pretty much the same as when it was initially produced. Now that is not a bad thing as the Dragon kit was and still is very nicely done. This kit also has the Magic Track individual link track system to add that much more realism to the kit. It accounts for many of the 470 parts in this kit and with such a relatively low parts count, construction of this one will not take as long as some others. The kit also includes four Soviet riflemen figures. It is set 6019 from their Berlin 1945 selection so fits in well with the time frame in which these tanks were use. But I didn't use the figures.

I used Vallejo Model Air Russian Green for the base green. It is said that russian 4BO green required mixing to get it right but since I have already decided to put on winter white wash, using VMA Russian Green alone is fine with me. 

The weathering is made with a mix of Tamiya Diorama texture paint, AK earth colour wash and a lot of plaster. 

The white wash was chipped with simple and cheap hair spray. I didn't see any point in investing in chipping fluids from AK or AMMO. 

The streakings were made with oil. I wasn't going to make them but while reading AFV modeller Issue 60-so meting ( forgot the exact issue), I saw a late IS-2 finished with streakings on a white wash finish so I thought I would replicate it as well. It looks kinda out of place but it kind of adds some variety to the finish. 

The Fuel stains were added using AK fuel stains wash. I love that product.

Well, that's about as much I can sum up about the build. 
I know it is not perfect but this is probably one of a very few kit that I am very happy with and is totally satisfied. I really loving how this came out.
It's time for the photos - 
(If you think some are small, just click on them )

I wanted to put on some grimes on the tank to show it is used and abused in the wake of the great Russian offensives -

The one lonely head light and some of the grime/moss on the front -

The running gears -

The fuel stains on the engine deck -

And as usual, my show case photos from various angles -

And as usual from me, the Gary Wintin Shot  -

Well, that's all I can say about this. As you all know, my patience is my bane so the usual hiccups are met but nothing I can complain. I could have done a better jobs on the muds but at least it is presentable. All in all, this was a GREAT and very enjoyable build apart from those hiccups but still, I am more than proud to have this on my shelf.

I couldn't keep building if not for my supporting friends and comrades. Thank you guys for always supporting me. Thank you dear readers for your patronage as well.

Until Next time.


Post a Comment